Coder IV Inpatient
Company: Common Spirit
Location: Rancho Cordova
Posted on: November 24, 2022
Dignity Health, one of the nation's largest health care systems, is
a 22-state network of more than 9,000 physicians, 63,000 employees,
and 400 care centers, including hospitals, urgent and occupational
care, imaging and surgery centers, home health, and primary care
clinics. Headquartered in San Francisco, Dignity Health is
dedicated to providing compassionate, high-quality, and affordable
patient-centered care with special attention to the poor and
underserved. For more information, please visit our website at
www.dignityhealth.org. You can also follow us on Twitter and
This position is a remote position; however, the successful
candidate must reside in the State of California. Please check our
website for other remote or non-remote coder opportunities in and
outside of the State of California.
Coder IV Inpatient
The Coder IV is a member of the Health Information Management Team
responsible for ensuring the accuracy and completeness of clinical
coding, validating the information in the databases for outcome
management and specialty registries, across the entire integrated
healthcare system. The purpose of this position is to apply the
appropriate diagnostic and procedural codes to individual patient
health information records for data retrieval, analysis and claims
processing. This position is expected to perform duties in
alignment with the mission and policies within the Dignity Health
organization, TJC, CMS, and other regulatory agencies.
Principle Duties and Accountabilities:
* Assign codes for diagnoses, treatments, and procedures according
to the appropriate classification system for inpatient
* Can also code ancillary, emergency department, same-day surgery,
and observation charts if needed.
* Review provider documentation to determine the principal
diagnosis, co-morbidities and complications, secondary conditions
and surgical procedures following official coding guidelines.
* Utilize technical coding principals and APC reimbursement
expertise to assign appropriate ICD-IO-CM diagnoses, ICD-IO-PCS as
appropriate, and CPT-4 for procedures.
* Understanding of ICD10 Coding in relation to DRGs
* Abstract additional data elements during the chart review process
when coding, as needed
* Utilize technical coding principals and MS-DRG reimbursement
expertise to assign appropriate ICD-10- CM diagnoses and ICD-
* Ensure accurate coding by clarifying diagnosis _and procedural
information through an established query process if necessary.
* Assign Present on Admission (POA) value for inpatient
* Extract required information from source documentation and enter
into encoder and abstracting system.
* Identifies non-payment conditions; Hospital-Acquired Conditions
(HAC), Patient Safety Indicators (PSI) following, report through
* Collaborate in the DRG Mismatch process with the Clinical
Documentation Improvement team.
* Review documentation to verify and when necessary, correct the
patient disposition upon discharge.
* Prioritize work to ensure the timeframe of medical record coding
meets regulatory requirements.
* Serve as a resource for coding related questions as
* Adhere to and maintain required levels of performance in both
Coding accuracy and productivity.
* Review and maintain a record of charts coded, held, and/or
* Provide documentation feedback to Providers, as needed
* Participate in Coding department meetings and educational
* Meet performance and quality standards at the Coder III
* Abide by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the
American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and
adheres to official coding guidelines.
* Other duties as assigned that have a direct impact on our ability
to decrease the DNFB and support Revenue Cycle, including but not
limited to charge validation, observation calculations, etc..
We offer the following benefits to support you and your family:
* Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
* Flexible spending accounts
* Voluntary Protection: Group Accident, Critical Illness, and
* Adoption Assistance
* Free Premium Membership to Care.com with preloaded credits for
children and/or dependent adults
* Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for you and your family
* Paid Time Off (PTO)
* Tuition Assistance for career growth and development
* Retirement Programs
* Wellness Programs
* Live/work anywhere in the State of California.
* Work directly with multiple facilities within the coding
* 24/7 Business Operations w/flexible work schedules
* Minimal weekend requirements
* Computer equipment provided
* Business expense reimbursement, if applicable.
* Tremendous growth and skill enhancement opportunities to include
apprenticeship programs and career ladders
A compensation range of $84,000 to $95,000 is the reasonable
estimate that CommonSpirit in good faith believes it might pay for
this particular job based on the circumstances at the time of
posting. CommonSpirit may ultimately pay more or less than the
posted range as permitted by law.
While you're busy impacting the healthcare industry, we'll take
care of you with benefits that include health/dental/vision, FSA,
matching retirement plans, paid vacation, adoption assistance,
annual bonus eligibility and more!
* High school diploma or equivalent.
* Have and maintain a current coding credential from AHIMA or AAPC
(RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CCS-P, CPC or CPC-H).
* Three years of relevant coding and abstracting experience or
equivalent combination of education and experience required in an
acute care hospital setting.
* Minimum of 3 years of Inpatient medical coding experience
(hospital, facility, etc.)
(One year of experience will be waived for those who have attended
the Dignity Health Coding Apprenticeship Program.)
* Must have ICD-10 coding experience
* Must have experience with DRG coding.
* Analytical / Critical thinking and problem solving.
* Knowledge and application of ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-PCS, HCPCS and
CPT-4 classification systems.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the
ability to present ideas and concepts effectively across
* Knowledge of information privacy laws, access, release of
information and release control technologies.
* Knowledge of hospital protocols and procedures.
* Working knowledge of functional relationships between departments
within healthcare or similar environment. Knowledge of TJC, HIPPA,
HCFA, Title 22, security principles, guidelines and standard
* Demonstrated competence with personal computers, networks and
Microsoft Office (including MS Word) and EMR systems.
* Intermediate level of Microsoft Excel.
Keywords: Common Spirit, Rancho Cordova , Coder IV Inpatient, Other , Rancho Cordova, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!