Outside Property Claim Representative Trainee - Sacramento
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Location: Rancho Cordova
Posted on: May 6, 2022
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a
nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries
for this role across the country. The actual salary for this
position will be determined by a number of factors, including the
scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education,
training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other
conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation
and benefits program, employees are also eligible for
performance-based cash incentive awards.
$45,800.00 - $75,500.00
What Is the Opportunity?
This is an entry level position that requires satisfactory
completion of required training to advance to Claim Professional,
Outside Property. This position is intended to develop skills for
investigating, evaluating, negotiating and resolving claims on
losses of lesser value and complexity. Provides quality claim
handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts,
coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving, negotiation and
resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and
external quality standards and state specific regulations. As part
of the hiring process, this position requires the completion of an
online pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the
assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be
provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for
further consideration. This position is based 100% remotely and may
include a combination of mobile work and/or work from your primary
LOCATION REQUIREMENT: This position services Insureds/Agents in the
Sacramento area. The selected candidate must reside in or be
willing to relocate at their own expense to the assigned territory.
Ideal locations include Sacramento, Rancho Cordova, Roseville, Elk
Grove, and surrounding cities.
Experience property claim representative/adjusters welcome to
What Will You Do?
- Completes required training which includes the overall
instruction, exposure, and preparation for employees to progress to
the next level position. It is a mix of online, virtual, classroom,
and on-the-job training. The training may require travel.
- The on the job training includes practice and execution of the
following core assignments:
- Handles 1st party property claims of moderate severity and
complexity as assigned.
- Establishes accurate scope of damages for building and contents
losses and utilizes as a basis for written estimates and/or
computer assisted estimates.
- Broad scale use of innovative technologies.
- Investigates and evaluates all relevant facts to determine
coverage (including but not limited to analyzing leases, contracts,
by-laws and other relevant documents which may have an impact),
damages, business interruption calculations and liability of first
party property claims under a variety of policies. Secures recorded
or written statements as appropriate.
- Establishes timely and accurate claim and expense
- Determines appropriate settlement amount based on independent
judgment, computer assisted building and/or contents estimate,
estimation of actual cash value and replacement value, contractor
estimate validation, appraisals, application of applicable limits
and deductibles and work product of Independent Adjusters.
- Negotiates and conveys claim settlements within authority
- Writes denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex
- Properly assesses extent of damages and manages damages through
proper usage of cost evaluation tools.
- Meets all quality standards and expectations in accordance with
the Knowledge Guides.
- Maintains diary system, capturing all required data and
documents claim file activities in accordance with established
- Manages file inventory to ensure timely resolution of
- Handles files in compliance with state regulations, where
- Provides excellent customer service to meet the needs of the
insured, agent and all other internal and external
- Recognizes when to refer claims to Travelers Special
Investigations Unit and/or Subrogation Unit.
- Identifies and refers claims with Major Case Unit exposure to
- Performs administrative functions such as expense accounts,
time off reporting, etc. as required.
- Provides multi-line assistance in response to workforce
management needs; including but not limited to claim handling for
Auto, Workers Compensation, General Liability and other areas of
the business as needed.
- May attend depositions, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trials,
trials and all other legal proceedings, as needed.
- Must secure and maintain company credit card required.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job,
acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required
to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally,
license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job
and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- In order to progress to Claim Representative, a Trainee must
demonstrate proficiency in the skills outlined above. Proficiency
will be verified by appropriate management, according to
- This position requires the individual to access and inspect all
areas of a dwelling or structure, which is physically demanding
requiring the ability to carry, set up and climb a ladder weighing
approximately 38 to 49 pounds, walk on roofs, and enter tight
spaces (such as attic staircases and entries, crawl spaces, etc.).
While specific territory or day-to-day responsibilities may not
require an individual to climb a ladder, the incumbent must be
capable of safely climbing a ladder when deploying to a catastrophe
which is a requirement of the position.
- Perform other duties as assigned.What Will Our Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor's Degree preferred or a minimum of two years of work
OR customer service related experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ownership attitude and customer centric response
to all assigned tasks - Basic
- Verbal and written communication skills -Intermediate
- Attention to detail ensuring accuracy - Basic
- Ability to work in a high volume, fast paced environment
managing multiple priorities - Basic
- Analytical Thinking - Basic
- Judgment/ Decision Making - Basic
- Valid passport preferred.
What is a Must Have?
- High School Diploma or GED and one year of customer service
experience OR Bachelor's Degree required.
- Valid driver's license - required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members -
including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible
for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions
dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to
an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in
the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment
toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual
contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a
Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of
20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised
of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness
goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to
professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources
to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're
eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the
communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved.
Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that
enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Rancho Cordova , Outside Property Claim Representative Trainee - Sacramento, Other , Rancho Cordova, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!