Senior Business Intelligence Specialist
Company: Magellan Health
Location: Rancho Cordova
Posted on: July 21, 2021
Deliver against business intelligence objectives including
creating solutions for information delivery and data analytics
projects with the goal of empowering and enabling business users
with actionable information. Expectations include independently
analyzing, designing, and developing business intelligence and
analytics solutions using coding standards and best practices in
close partnership with business teams, architecture, and IT
leaders; as well as, mentoring junior staff by providing guidance
and design consultation.
- Independently creates solutions that provide accurate
information quickly to the organization.
- Analyzes, designs and builds reports, dashboards or other
business intelligence components as needed.
- Responsible for development initiatives that may drive the
creation of new data assets or information exchange to support the
creation of decision support applications or business
- Work closely with other staff to identify levels of effort and
task dependencies as assigned by the Manager.
- Provides technical guidance on the creation of database tables,
objects, assets and/or cubes utilizing commonly accepted
methodologies and best practices for dimensional modeling and
normal forms. Leads the creation of data marts as needed.
- Trains and mentors business intelligence and analytics staff on
use of new technologies, design and development approaches and the
application of established standards and best practices for
business intelligence development and data design.
- Collaborates with other developers on the application of
standards and best practices and contributes to the evolution of
best practices and standards aimed at improving scalability,
performance and maintainability; as well as, mentoring junior staff
on the use and value of those standards.
- Oversees and/or participates in the research and evaluation of
new business intelligence, analytics and/or data visualization
- Determines the best technologies to use for our environment
considering future direction, risk, consistency and return on
- Considers the technology changes that have taken place over the
years and helps project the trends for the
future. Trains and mentors programming staff on
use of newly acquired/adopted technologies.
- Creates architecture and/or design documents that may be needed
to initiate new development efforts, which may come from knowledge
of the overall environment or incoming requirements and
- Reviews incoming projects to determine if existing
technologies/capabilities can support the needs of the incoming
- Demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively or
autonomously (based on the situation) on the design, creation and
maintenance of metadata layers that provide easy to understand and
accurate representations of our physical data structures and that
allow the organization's user communities to derive value and
insights from our data assets.
- Will support, either through consultation, coaching, mentoring
or by specifically performing the necessary tasks independently,
the analysis, designs and development of reports, dashboards or
data sources as needed.
- Maintain communication with customers, internal and external,
to facilitate analysis and troubleshooting for production issues or
to ensure high levels of customer focus relating to business
intelligence and analytics solutions.
- Demonstrated experience leading small teams to deliver business
objectives. Experience in conducting technical
- Experience implementing standards, best practices, or protocol
that drives consistency and quality throughout the development
- Demonstrated abilities in various forms of data modeling
(dimensional and relational) and warehousing strategies.
- Experience working with end users and customers, preferably
with training and demonstrating solution capabilities.
- Experience implementing new technological solutions in a
- Master Data Management, Data Stewardship, or Data Governance
- Experience with business operations systems,
particularly those that may be in use in a Pharmacy Benefit
Management setting (Claims Processing, Prior Authorization,
Telephony, Membership, etc.)
- Related industry experience.
Consideration will be given as to the candidate's proficiency
and ability to contribute in the role based upon the following:
- Professional/related publications written and/or contributed
- Contributions to Blogs
- Technical certifications such as those offered by SAS, IBM,
- Disciplinary certifications such as Scrum, Project Management
Institute (PMI), Business Analysis
A bachelor’s degree in business
intelligence, management information systems, mathematics,
statistics, analytics, computer and information sciences or similar
is required. Will substitute an seven years of
direct experience in business intelligence, data analytics or
statistics in lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
4+ years of work experience in BI or
related discipline, other employment or volunteer activities or
demonstrated proficiency in Business Intelligence/Analytics project activities through
successful initiatives that demonstrate competence that goes beyond
what is typical of individuals with 4+ years of work
Prior experience as a Business
Intelligence Developer or Data Analyst supporting business
intelligence, reporting, analytics or data warehouse
Experience researching and implementing
new information systems in a business setting.
Demonstrated experience using multiple
databases and tools and using leading business intelligence,
analytics or data visualization
Familiarity with a broad range of data
platforms (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, Hadoop, Netezza,
Teradata, RedShift, Snowflake) and Business Intelligence/data
visualization tools/platforms/environments (IBM Cognos, SAS, R,
Qlik, OracleBI and SQL Server Reporting Services/PowerBI, Micros
Strategy, Tableau) is required.
Hands-on knowledge of data warehousing
and business intelligence concepts, including various forms of
modeling (dimensional and relational) and warehousing
The ability to quickly learn and apply
new technologies while considering the business needs and
direction. Experience serving as the senior member on business
intelligence or analytics/data warehousing projects with
responsibility for design and approach decisions on projects.
The ability to overcome technical,
political, environmental, and/or product owner related impediments
to drive results.
Senior Business Intelligence Specialist
Business Intelligence, IT
A Combination of Education and Work Experience May Be Considered.
(Required), Bachelors: Computer and Information Science (Required),
Bachelors: Information Technology (Required), Bachelors:
Mathematics (Required), Bachelors: Statistics (Required)
Certifications - Required
Certifications - Preferred
Magellan Health, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled.
Every employee must understand, comply with and attest to the
security responsibilities and security controls unique to their
position; and comply with all applicable legal, regulatory, and
contractual requirements and internal policies and procedures.
Keywords: Magellan Health, Rancho Cordova , Senior Business Intelligence Specialist, Other , Rancho Cordova, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!