Company: Dignity Health
Location: rancho cordova
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Two legacies of caring.
One ministry of change.
CommonSpirit was created by the alignment of Catholic Health
Initiatives and Dignity Health as a single ministry in early 2019.
More than 150,000 physicians, nurses, caregivers, and other staff
are employed by CommonSpirit Our hospitals and care centers cover
21 states. CommonSpirit has the size and ability to scale
best-in-class clinical service lines; recruit and retain top
talent; standardize operations to improve quality and reduce the
cost of care; and advocate more effectively for all people,
especially those who are poor and vulnerable. For more information,
please visit our website at www.commonspirithealth.org. You can
also follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
The Dignity Health Legal Department ( Legal Department ) is
responsible for the provision of legal services to, and for the
management of the legal affairs of, Dignity Health and Dignity
Community Care and their hospitals, subsidiaries and affiliated
businesses ( Dignity Health ). The Corporate Counsel/Client Service
Leader Operations ( Corporate Counsel ):
- Serves as a member of the Legal Team;
- Is a team member and integral part of the Operations Group, the
functional division of the Legal Department that primarily supports
Dignity Healths Operations (defined below);
- Reports to and performs services under the direction and
supervision of the Vice President and Associate General Counsel
Operations ( AGC-Operations ) or his/her delegate; and
- Provides quality legal services and effective legal counsel in
support of Dignity Healths hospital, ambulatory, health care,
physician and other business operations ( Operations ) described in
this Position Description in a manner consistent with Dignity
Healths Mission and Core Values.
In addition, the Corporate Counsel serves as the Client Service
Leader ( CSL ) for designated Dignity Health hospitals. As CSL for
the Service Area, the Corporate Counsel CSL will work with Senior
Management on hospital and Service Area-wide initiatives. The
Corporate Counsel CSL will work collaboratively with other
Corporate Counsel CSLs.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
The Corporate Counsel will have the following key duties,
responsibilities and accountabilities:
- To perform legal services for, represent and support Dignity
Health with regard to Operations under the direction and
supervision of the AGC-Operations, including, without limitation,
matters related to hospital/health care operations; physician
contracting; medical staff and peer review; patient and clinical
care; patient consents; business and non-physician contracting;
corporate, commercial, physician and business transactions
(including the purchase, sale, lease and/or other transactions
involving hospitals, ancillary or ambulatory health services, major
equipment, physician organizations or medical groups, and health
care operations); loans and financing transactions; the formation,
operations and dissolution of joint ventures and other business
organizations; legal/regulatory and compliance; licensure,
certification and accreditation; health care privacy/security;
clinical research; and internal investigations.
- To act as a legal counselor/advisor and business partner for
Dignity Healths Service Area Presidents/Senior Vice
Presidents-Operations, Hospital Presidents and other members of the
Hospitals senior management teams, with a particular focus on the
role as CSL for the assigned Service Area(s) and hospitals, and for
senior management of Dignity Healths corporate functions, on
operational, business, strategic and legal matters relevant to
- To develop and/or enhance the Corporate Counsels expertise, and
for the Corporate Counsel to be or become a subject matter expert,
in specific legal, legislative, regulatory or health care topics,
issues or arrangements relevant to Operations or the other
corporate functional areas supported by the Legal Department. In
this regard, the Corporate Counsel will participate as a member of
one or more Centers of Excellence or Service Centers maintained by
the Legal Department based on his/her subject matter
- To oversee and manage litigation, administrative proceedings
and other regulatory (including licensure and certification)
proceedings or matters arising out of or related to Operations as
requested or assigned from time to time, including the management
of outside counsel engaged to represent Dignity Health in the
litigation or proceeding.
- To oversee, manage and work collaboratively on matters assigned
to outside counsel engaged to represent or assist Dignity Health,
including review, direction and supervision of outside counsels
- To participate on projects or matters related to the management
and administration of the Legal Department as requested from time
to time by the General Counsel ( GC ), the AGC-Operations, and/or
- To supervise, direct, manage and work collaboratively with the
paralegals, executive coordinators, and other non-attorney staff
assigned to work regularly or on specific projects with the
Corporate Counsel consistent with Dignity Healths Core Values.
- To travel throughout Dignity Health as required to perform the
duties and responsibilities of the Corporate Counsel described in
this Position Description.
- To personally develop and/or satisfy the Corporate Counsel
Legal Competencies accompanying this Position Description.
- To support the Legal Department proactively, both internally
within the Legal Department and externally throughout Dignity
Health, in the course and scope of the performance of the Corporate
Counsels duties and responsibilities.
- To communicate frequently with the AGC-Operations on matters
critical to the Corporate Counsels duties and responsibilities, the
Legal Department and Dignity Health generally.
- To maintain excellent relationships, work collaboratively and
engage in regular communication with the GC, other AGCs, the Legal
Departments other attorneys, paralegals, executive coordinators and
other non-attorney staff.
- To (i) manifest a commitment to Dignity Healths Mission and
Core Values, (ii) act and demonstrate behavior consistent with the
Dignity Healths Core Values in fulfilling the duties and
responsibilities described in this Position Description, and (iii)
contribute to a positive working environment in the Legal
Department for all employees.
- A Juris Doctor or equivalent degree from a law school
accredited by the American Bar Association.
- Admission to the State Bar of California (or eligibility under
the Registered In-House Counsel provisions of the State Bar of
California), and professional licensure in good standing without
any instances of suspension, revocation, censure or other adverse
events in any jurisdiction.
- Excellence in academic achievement.
- A minimum of three (3) years of legal or legal-related work
experience either with a law firm and/or in-house legal department
involving the performance of legal services for hospitals, health
systems, providers, health care delivery organizations, and/or
integrated delivery systems.
- Demonstrated excellent working knowledge and primary focus of
prior work experience in the following substantive legal areas
affecting Operations (including applicable federal, state and local
laws, rules and regulations): hospital and health care operations
generally; fraud and abuse, anti-kickback and physician
self-referral (Stark law); hospital licensure, certification,
accreditation and conditions of participation; legal compliance;
reimbursement and payment for services; patient care, safety,
consent and treatment; care management; medical staff and peer
review; medical records; HIPAA, privacy and security; physician
recruitment; hospital-physician contracts; and non-physician and
- Good working knowledge of other substantive legal areas and
issues related to Operations and health care generally, including
health care business and corporate transactions, hospital/physician
transactions, joint ventures, lending or financial transactions,
and mergers, acquisitions and dispositions.
- Good working knowledge of the key operational and strategic
issues and challenges currently affecting hospitals, health
systems, providers, health care delivery organizations, and/or
integrated delivery systems.
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn and understand the
legal and operational issues unique to faith-based health care
- Experience with navigating complex and dynamic corporate
- Demonstrated ability to identify legal risks, apply relevant
law and organizational policies, and develop effective strategies
for resolving or responding to the issues or risks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including
the communication of complex legal and compliance concepts in a
clear, concise and practical manner.
- Excellent contract drafting and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, and to manage and
turn-around significant and diverse work flow in an effective and
- Demonstrated ability to work closely and maintain good working
relationships with and relate well to highly driven, diverse
executives and personalities in an attorney-client setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic and challenging law
firm or in-house legal department environment, and under stressful
- Ability to work independently with minimal hands-on
supervision, yet exhibiting good judgment in seeking guidance and
direction from the GC, AGC-Operations, other AGCs, and other
- A commitment to (i) the client experience and high quality
legal services, (ii) transparency and accountability, and (iii)
being a team player.
Keywords: Dignity Health, Rancho Cordova , Corporate Counsel, Other , rancho cordova, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!