Litigation Commercial General Liability Consultant - New Hire Bonus
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Location: Rancho Cordova
Posted on: March 18, 2023
Who Are We?Taking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Compensation OverviewThe annual base salary range provided for
this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad
range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual
salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors,
including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the
skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the
candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our
comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also
eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.Salary
Range$75,900.00 - $125,300.00Target Openings1What Is the
Opportunity?Potential for signing bonus of up to $10,000.
Under general supervision, the position is responsible for
investigating, evaluating, reserving, negotiating and resolving
assigned General Liability related Bodily Injury and Property
Damage claims. Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim
life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation,
reserving, litigation management, negotiation and resolution)
including maintaining full compliance with internal and external
quality standards and state specific regulations. Provides
consulting and training resources, and serves as a contact and
technical resource to the field and our business partners. This job
does not manage staff.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to
support flexibility.What Will You Do?
- Directly handles assigned severe claims.
- Provides quality customer service and ensures file quality and
timely coverage analysis and communication with insured based on
application of policy information to facts or allegations of each
- Consults with Manager on use of Claim Coverage Counsel as
- Directly investigate each claim through prompt and
strategically-appropriate contact with appropriate parties such as
policyholders, accounts, claimants, law enforcement agencies,
witnesses, agents, medical providers and technical experts to
determine the extent of liability, damages, and contribution
potential. Interview witnesses and stakeholders; take necessary
statements, as strategically appropriate.
- Completes outside investigation as needed per case
- Actively engages in the identification, selection and direction
of appropriate internal and/or external resources for specific
activities required to effectively evaluate claims, such as
Subrogation, Risk Control, nurse consultants, and fire or fraud
investigators, and other experts.
- Verifies the nature and extent of injury or property damage by
obtaining and reviewing appropriate records and damages
- Maintains claim files and documents claim file activities in
accordance with established procedures.
- Utilizes evaluation documentation tools in accordance with
- Proactively review Claim File Analysis (CFA) for adherence to
quality standards and trend analysis.
- Utilizes diary management system to ensure that all claims are
handled timely. At required time intervals, evaluate liability and
- Establishes and maintains proper indemnity and expense
- Recommends appropriate cases for discussion at roundtable.
- Attends and/or presents at roundtables/ authority discussions
for collaboration of technical expertise resulting in improved
payout on indemnity and expense.
- Actively and enthusiastically shares experience and knowledge
of creative resolution techniques to improve the claim results of
- Develops and employs creative resolution strategies.
- Promptly and properly disposition all claims within delegated
- Negotiates disposition of claims with insureds and claimants or
their legal representatives.
- Recognizes and implements alternate means of resolution.
- Manages litigated claims. Develops litigation plan with staff
or panel counsel, including discovery and legal expenses, to assure
effective resolution and to satisfy customers.
- Applies litigation management through the selection of counsel,
evaluation and direction of claim and litigation strategy.
- Tracks and controls legal expenses to assure cost-effective
- Effectively and efficiently manage both allocated and
unallocated loss adjustment expenses.
- Attends depositions, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trials,
trials and all other legal proceedings, as needed.
- Updates appropriate parties as needed, providing new facts as
they become available, and their impact upon the liability analysis
and settlement options.
- Recognizes cases, based on severity/ complexity protocols that
should be transferred to another level of claim professional and
refers on a timely basis.
- Appropriately deals with information that is considered
personal and confidential.
- Fulfills specific service commitments made to certain accounts,
as outlined in Special.
- Account Communication (SAC) instructions and inquiries from
agents and brokers.
- Represents the company as a technical resource; attends legal
proceedings as needed, acts within established professional
guidelines as well as applicable state laws.
- Actively provides mentoring and coaching to less experienced
claim professionals to increase the technical expertise and improve
- Shares accountability with business partners to achieve and
sustain quality results.
- Evaluates all claims for recovery potential; directly handles
recovery efforts and/or engage and directs Company resources for
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job,
acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required
to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally,
license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job
and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- Perform other duties as assigned.What Will Our Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- 3 years bodily injury liability claim handling and/or
- Skilled in coverage, contract interpretation, liability and
damages analysis and has a thorough understanding of the litigation
process, relevant case and statutory law and expert litigation
- Extensive claim and/or legal experience and technical expertise
to evaluate severe and complex claims.
- Able to make independent decisions on most assigned cases
without involvement of supervisor.
- Openness to the ideas and expertise of others actively solicits
input and shares ideas.
- Thorough understanding of business line products, policy
language, exclusions, ISO forms, and effective claims handling
- Openness to the ideas and expertise of others actively solicits
input and shares ideas.
- Strong negotiation and customer service skills. -
- Demonstrated coaching, influence and persuasion skills.-
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required so
as to understand, synthesize, interpret and convey, in a simplified
manner, complex data and information to audiences with varying
levels of expertise.- Intermediate
- Strong technology aptitude; ability to use business technology
tools to effectively research, track, and communicate information.
- Attention to detail ensuring accuracy -Intermediate
- Job Specific Technical Competencies:
- Analytical Thinking - Intermediate
- Judgment/Decision Making - Intermediate
- Communication - Intermediate
- Negotiation - Intermediate
- Insurance Contract Knowledge - Intermediate
- Principles of Investigation - Intermediate
- Value Determination - Intermediate
- Settlement Techniques - Intermediate
- Legal Knowledge - Basic
- Medical Knowledge - IntermediateWhat is a Must Have?
- High School Degree or GED required with a minimum of 2 years
bodily injury liability claim experience and/or comparable
litigation claim handling experience.What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members -
including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible
for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions
dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to
an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in
the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment
toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual
contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a
Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of
20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised
of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness
goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to
professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources
to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're
eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the
communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved.
Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that
enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.Employment
PracticesTravelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe
that we can deliver the very best products and services when our
workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve.
We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the
diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive
workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and
work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.To learn more about our
comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Rancho Cordova , Litigation Commercial General Liability Consultant - New Hire Bonus, Legal , Rancho Cordova, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...